Saturday, April 25, 2020

Unicorn Dresses

May 2018

I found some adorable unicorn fabric while I was shopping at Walmart. Unfortunately, I could only find the fabric in pre-cut 1-yard bolts, so I only had enough for a skirt, but luckily I had some knit fabric that matched the blue in the skirt. I couldn't leave a plain bodice, so I decided to do a freezer paper transfer (it had been a long time since I've done any freezer paper transfers for Eesa).  I wanted to make sure that the unicorn matched the unicorn on the fabric, so I scanned a part of the fabric onto the computer where I made the unicorn the size I wanted, and then proceeded with the usual method of freezer paper transfer with fabric paints. I made the dress first and then added the design, it was a little nerve-wracking knowing that if I messed up the unicorn then I would ruin the entire dress.  Luckily, the transfer turned out perfect.  I even carefully glued some bling for that extra sparkle. Just like that donut dress, Eesa wore this dress quite frequently.  I think she prefers knit dresses because she can put them on easily.  I used the Talulah knit pattern from Violette Field Threads, which would become a staple pattern from then until now, because is so basic, yet versatile. I also made a coordinating dress for my niece, Aaliyah. I used the Kate pattern from VFT, and even though its made for knits, I still used the same blue knit fabric. It was too short for my niece so she gave it back to us and now Eesa has two of these dresses, which are both too short now! Good thing she lots of wears out of this dress! 


No comments:

Post a Comment