Saturday, April 25, 2020

Knit Unicorn Dress

Sigh. Then there's this dress. Yes, I know it looks adorable in these pictures. Alas, I ended up donating this dress to Goodwill after only one wear.  I'm not one hundred percent sure what went wrong with this dress, but if I'm remembering right, it was an issue with the fabric itself.  I always pre-wash fabrics that I buy, and this was no exception. It sewed up okay, I had a little bit of trouble with the binding on the sleeves laying properly, but other then that I was happy with it and she wore it to school the next day.  I washed it and my gosh what a mess! It shrunk and warped like crazy! I've never had that happen with a dress I've made before.  After the wash, it was oddly baggy and yet it was too short on her.  I'm going to be very wary of Joann's Doodles knit fabric from now on. Which is a shame because they have absolutely adorable prints. If you ever purchase Doodles fabric from Joann's, make sure to have more cut than you think you need, and wash several times because the fabric shrinks like crazy. Seriously, they should have some warning on the bolts of fabric. Or just buy your knits elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment