Saturday, April 25, 2020

Sleeveless Plaid Shirt

Ooh, Here is a shirt I made that I really like. I drafted it from the Violette Field Thread's Hattie Dress. If you haven't noticed already, I made Eesa a lot of dresses, so I'm always happy when I get to make her a shirt. I tried out my drafting skills on something similar (at least the bodice part) previously in this post, but I used a different pattern as the base.  This pattern from VFT threads at this time was recently released, and I couldn't help but see a plaid sleeveless shirt as a potential wardrobe item for Eesa when I first bought the pattern. I know its not necessarily and original idea, as I found some pictures that matched my "vision", but this shirt was something I really wanted to try making. 
I used red plaid fabric from Walmart, I think I got it as a remnant long before I started this project. I got to work extending the bodice of the dress, measuring Eesa and making sure it wasn't too short or too long. I also remembered that almost all shirts flare out slightly as they get longer, so I made sure to have the pattern do the same. I wanted that back longer and rounded, so I also made sure to do that. For the ties, I thought it would be best to make them as an attachment (i.e. sewn in) instead of one continuous part of the bodice, because if it were to be one continuous piece, it would eat up just sooo much fabric and I didn't even have enough fabric for that option. I also made sure to cut it out on the bias so it could have that stretch it needs in order to tie. I included that "cute factor" via the lace-trimmed double pockets, using the pocket pattern piece from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop's Oxford shirt pattern. And snaps because they are super easy, quick, and cuuuute! I'm hoping now, two years later (yikes, sorry) to make her another (larger size, of course) shirt now that I've got the pattern, its just a matter of sizing up a few sizes!

My inspiration.

My product. Love!! I want one for myself.

Perfectly coordinated, boots and all.
  
Bodice front

Bodice front, with the tie piece placed where I wanted it to go.  I think I added an extra 1/2" to the top of the tie piece so that I could sew it inside the seam of the bodice and not loose length and form.

The back

She's got her brother but not the matching boots!

Umm...different brother, different...shoes...where's the boots?!

No comments:

Post a Comment