Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Shiny Purple Dress

March 5 2021
I made this pretty dress out of some random, super-shiny purple fabric I found at Goodwill. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it may have been a curtain at one point. Unfortunately, the fabric was incredibly low quality, but so very pretty. It was thin, slippery, and warp prone. I'm surprised I was able to make a dress at all, but the sewing gods were with me I guess, and this dress turned out surprisingly well. I created it using a mash-up of VFT patterns, the Harlow with the Sutton cold-shoulder sleeves. I think the sleeves add and air of elegance to the dress.
Eesa liked to wear it fairly often to church. Alas, the skirt fabric ripped from the bodice in the front after maybe 3-4 wears. Did I mention this was cheap fabric? I wasn't my sewing job; it was the fabric that tore from itself. Sigh. I would have tossed the dress, but Elisa really liked it, so I hand-stitched the skirt to the bodice, and the repairs aren't too noticeable, thankfully.
Girly still wears this dress (a year and a half after its production). I've been using the largest size that VFT patterns go up to (at least for the girls) which is size 9/10. She's so skinny that I'm still using this size, 1.5 years later. Of course, this dress was a bit big when I first made it, but she's grown into it, so we've gotten lots of use out of it. Oh, if only the fabric weren't so sucky. I supposed its better than ugly fabric, right? Here she is in her shiny purple dress. So cute!! 

Pay no mind to my messy craftroom.

I love low-cut back on VFT's Harlow pattern.
I think she's just the cutest little girl that there ever was! The dress is pretty cute, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment