Thursday, February 24, 2022

The Fall in Love Sweater

 I did mention in a previous post that the Ellie and Mac patterns also have patterns for men, women and boys, unlike Violette Threads which are mostly for girls under ten (although there are a couple of women's patterns). One of the first patters I bought from Ellie & Mac is a very basic (in a good way--I guess a better word would be traditional?) long-sleeved shirt pattern for myself, called the "Fall in Love Sweater". And fall in loved I did--with this pattern! I started sewing these shirts in late 2020 (November), using what else but Walmart bargain fabric. 

The first shirt I made--and I regretfully gave it away without taking a pic--was a poor fit. Which is unfortunate because the fabric I used was a soft, pretty blue with a strip of crochet lace going down both arms that I quite liked. But it was very uncomfortable to wear because the underarm seam was too small and tight. So I donated it to Goodwill. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or it was a flaw in the pattern (which I did follow). I adjusted the underarms (and therefore the sleeves) on the pattern and I came out with perfectly-fitted shirts for myself! These are 4 of the 6 shirts I have made for myself so far. There's also a neon pink one but I'm saving that for another post, and I already discussed the first. I wear this shirts all the time in the winter, they are very comfy and the fact that they are relativity plain allows for lots of jewelry accompaniment!

My first well-fitting shirt, made out of a navy blue, slightly textured knit cotton.

A ribbed-knit cotton, my second shirt. I have purple beaded earrings that match perfectly that I like to wear with this shirt.

These two I made about a year after the navy and purple shirt, in late 2021, using super, super soft fabric from Walmart. I enjoy wearing these amazingly soft and comfortable shirts! You can't tell at all from the picture, but I actually spritzed a little bit of silver glitter on the gray shirt using Tulip glitter spray paint for fabrics. It's not super noticeable in person-there's just a hint of sparkle.

The navy shirt in action Nov. 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment