Thursday, February 24, 2022

New Sewing Trends/Sewing For Myself

Towards the end of 2020, my sewing customs shifted. It didn't have much to do with the pandemic, but rather the combination of my discovery of  Walmart bargain knit fabrics, the Ellie and Mac patterns, and especially the fact that Eesa was/is growing up and woven clothes aren't quite her jam anymore. She'd rather blend in with her peers and dress for comfort--and knits and E&M patterns are just the thing for that. So in late 2020 and all of 2021, her closet practically exploded with new, soft stretchy, mommy-made shirts. But more on that later. 
With all those knit shirts I made for Eesa, I still had yards and yards of the knit fabric leftover. What was I to do with all that leftover fabric? I don't think Eesa would appreciate shirts all in the same exact fabrics! The solution: Sew for myself! And I sure did! Sewing for myself was perhaps the biggest change in my sewing habits, besides the aforementioned sewing with knits and finding a new pattern shop to patron. I did sew up a couple things here and there for myself, but those were few and far between, as you can gather from the years and years worth of posts on this here blog of things I sewed for Eesa versus the things I sewed for myself. The first few shirts I made from the Walmart bargain fabrics were made from my own drafted pattern of a dolman top. Dolman tops are perhaps the simplest pattern to draft and to make. I had no problems with either. Here's two I made in the year 2020:


A basic dolman top I drafted from a regular top pattern I had (a VFT one I believe). I added ruffles to the sleeves for added interest. I made Eesa a shirt out of this very same fabric, to be posted later.



A Halloween shirt I made from the same pattern as the above shirt, sans sleeve ruffles. The orange fabric is so SO thin, so I have to wear a black shirt under it. I made it extra-halloweeny by added a spider via freezer paper transfer. I'm a bit irritated that the paint leaked a little so the spider is a little bit fuzzy. Humph. But I like the sparkle--I used black sparkle nail polish over the fabric paint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment