Sunday, October 2, 2022

Boy's Pajamas

I made these pj's for my oldest boy, just because it's not very often that I get to sew for him. And well, frankly it's hard to find pjs for teens that are in sets and that are cotton and not plastic polyester. For the teal pjs, I used some cotton flannel-type fabric that was given to me. The black/Christmas Cactus pjs were made from flannel I found on clearance at JoAnn's. I bought all the rest that they had. If they had more, I would have bought it in order make more jammies for my other kids because I love that print! Thanks be to the sewing gods because I had just barely, barely exactly within-a-centimeter, enough for these pajamas. Yikes!

I used the Violette Field Thread's Grace Pajama pattern, but I altered it to make it into boy's pj's. I wish I would have altered the bottoms even more. They could have used a couple more inches in length, and the inseam needed more length as well. Well, good to know for next time, even if it did take me two times to realize that. Anyway, he wears these pj's still, and is outgrowing them so they will be handed to little brother soon.

For future reference or anyone who wishes to make boy's pjs (they are designed for girls!) out of the Violette Field Thread's Grace Pajama pattern, here ya go and you're welcome: 
 
Top
-straight line for side seams (the pattern curves in)
-buttons on other side
-widen the shoulders by about 1/4"
-short Sleeve lengthened by 1/2"-1"
-reduce sleeve gather using your preferred method (I just redrafted my own sleeve using the pattern as a guide)
Bottoms:
-lengthen inseam (at top) by 1"
-lengthen hemline by 2"

These measurements are approximate of course, and for a size 12. You'll probably want more or less depending on size. 

 

Christmas cactus!  

Bonus! 
I made this other cutie some pj's out of some ribbed knit white cotton I found in the Walmart bargain bin. I don't recall what pattern I used though. I asked him if he wanted them tie-dyed or a design on them, but he said he just wanted them white, haha silly kid. He still likes to wear them, a year later!



No comments:

Post a Comment