I bought this light maroon colored fabric at Joanns on super-duper clearance (like $1.50/yd) and I after working with it, I can see why it was on clearance. Cheap, cheap fabric! Thin, wrinkly, and stiff. Oh well. A costume is about all it was good for.
When I went to cut this fabric, I didn't really have any plans; I just started making a dress and paired it with some lace and trim I thought looked good with it. When I finished the dress, I thought it looked plain and old-fashioned, so I decided it definitely needed a little bonnet to complete the pioneer look! I found a free, easy pattern here. I have fun dressing her up in her little dress and bonnet, but alas, she is not quite ready for the dress up/imagination stage yet. At the very least we have a back-up costume for Halloween!