Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The $2 Pink/Zebra Hankie Dress

 This is probably the cheapest, easiest dress I have ever made! I will definitely be making more like this in the future.  It is made from a handkerchief.  Yes, I typed that right, a Handkerchief!  Hobby Lobby has lots of these, in several different patterns, for 99 cents each! I got two of them for this dress.   Minimal pinning and cutting.  Edges are already finished, a real plus especially if you don't have a serger.  Here is the breakdown of how I made it if you want to make one too.
1: Rolled edge finish on top (done with serger--optional as edges are already finished)
2: Shirring on both front and back, spaced 1/4" apart.  I think I did about 13 lines or so on each side.  
3: Sew/serge sides together. Adjust to baby's size as necessary.
4: Make straps.  I cut mine on the bias and then sewed/gathered pink ribbon to one side of each.  You can do whatever you want though; I think think ties would be cute as well.
5: Finish Hem.  I did the ribbon on the bottom hem like I did the straps.  In fact, I thought this dress was a little too long so I shortened it and added another layer of ribbon and I like it so much better!  Here are some pics before  I the added ribbon and made it shorter:








 Total price: $2!

1 comment: